“Miles to Go” is the title of the closing chapter in my Book Meaningful Memories – Rekindling Past Learning Experiences to Live Life to the Fullest. The chapter is a recollection of one of my many visits to my home- town of Saint John New Brunswick, “the Bay of Fundy port city”. I’m going to quote the final sentence in that closing chapter to make a very important point.
“What there was on that day, was a smile on the face of a boomer who had moved on with his meaningful memories of very special learning experiences as a young boy in a bygone era in the North End that would continue to be rekindled as a guide to living life to the fullest”.
Although not unique, they were linked to living a life full of energy that is the foundation for a culture we just never forget if we have the good fortune to live that kind of life.
I'm a Bay of Fundy Boy
As we say in the Maritimes
"I've Come Home"
I'm a boomer coming of age in a "new age"
- I've done well in my career. I'm financially secure.
- I've done good. I engaged in active community living by serving on condo boards in Toronto and Guelph.
- I pursued an active retirement community (ARC) life in the Village by the Arboretum (VBA), a model "55+" active retirement community in Guelph Ontario and served as a condo board member.
- I was a feature writer for the VBA "Tree Talk" monthly newsletter.
- I was a "snow bird" for elven years in active retirement communities (ARCs) in Florida and Arizona. I created a "best in class" bocce court in Florida and was president of an innovative hiking club in Arizona.
- I wrote the book Meaningful Memories as a recollection of my F.A.I.L.s (first attempts in learning) growing up in Saint John, a community with a special heritage as the oldest incorporated city in British North America, and how I rekindled them to "ignite my passion" an and chart a personalized pathway to live life to the fullest.
- I've made a contribution to the millennial and boomer generations by using my book as a real life case study on how to recollect and embrace the F.A.I.L.s (first attempts in learning) and rekindle them to "ignite their passion" and create a personalized pathway to live life to the fullest in their boomer encore.
- I've "come home" to make a contribution in historic St. Andrews by the Sea in the heritage heartland of Canada on the Bay of Fundy.
Coming of Age in a New Age
- Canada is an aging society.
- The aging society is in an emergent "new age".
- The "new age" is encompassed in a transformative socio-economic environment.
- Boomers are at the forefront in coming of age in this new age.
- I'm a boomer who is coming of age in this new age and determined to utilize what my expertise has enabled me to do well professionally to take on a mission to make a contribution in the transformation
- Saint Andrews is the anchor in a legacy niche in Canadian heritage in tracing its founding to the arrival of United Empire Loyalists circa 1785. The town is replete with a treasure drove of well maintained owner occupied single family heritage homes situate on an historic town platte. The source of strength and resilience of the town over for more than 150 years has been the sustained evolution of a vibrant heritage leisure and tourism industry.
- I'm a member of the Saint Andrews Heritage By-law committee. I intend to utilize my legal knowledge and experiences in active community living to contribute to the adaptation of heritage in one of Canada's idyllic heritage small towns with its vibrant tourism economy to its evolution in a contemporary context.
The New You
Time for a Workout to Work Things Out
- You've done well. You've had a successful career and are financially secure.
- You've done good. You've led a good life.
- It’s an ideal time to make a contribution. You’re now positioned to exit what you’ve done well at in your career and give something back to your community.
- It might entail making a reality of that dream you always had when you were young just tucked away while you pursued. Your now in a position to “ignite that passion” and make that dream a reality.
- That reality can be embarking on an encore career and making a go of a business you always knew there was a need for in the community but nobody seemed to care to take the time and effort to get on it.
- You have the where withal to make it happen.
- Or this could be that once in your lifetime opportunity to volunteer with a charity or non-governmental organization (NGO) that you’ve been donating to but will now get a value add with your expertise.
- Click into the "Ignite Your Passion & LiveYour 55/65/75+ Life to the Fullest " page and retain me as your "Sherpa Guide" to mentor you on how get going on that personalized pathway.
Boomers Active Retirement
"We find that between 1990 and 2020 around three quarters of occupations have seen their age-friendliness increase and employment in above- average age-friendly occupations has risen by 49 million. These findings point to the need to frame the rise of age-friendly jobs in the context of other labour market trends and imperfections."
- National Bureau of Economic Research NBEC
The Silver Economy
The aging population is creating a market for goods and services that cater to seniors and boomers. This is the “silver economy”. The demand for all manner and kinds of medical devices is exploding. Health care services are expanding. Technologies that cater to making physical activities in the home manageable by elders are getting a welcome reception. Retirees are prime consumers of tourism. You get the picture. Take a look around your community and you’ll encounter all manner and types of employment and business opportunities in the “silver economy”.
Welcome to the world of
Boomers Active Retirement Employment Advisor
Entire industries have transitioned into an intergenerational age- friendly mode where an increasing amount of work can be done remotely and is home based. The foundation for the new "GIG" economy are contract assignments, casual employment and part-time work; much of it remote based. These are all the attributes of boomer focused retirement friendly work- places. Your home is no longer just your castle. It’s now your place of business
Time for a Workout to Work Things Out
First things first.
That’s presuming this is what you want.
1. If not start looking at opportunities elsewhere and position yourself to be an attractive candidate.
2. Don’t wait for the axe to fall. Start swinging your own axe.
The New You
You’re either a retiree or on the verge of becoming one. This may have been your decision or one that was made by others. Either way, and for whatever reason you’re still in work mode. Take a breath. Don’t just jump back in. Think back about what you’ve done in that former work life. What were you good at and not so good at. What didn’t you like and, more importantly, what did you like in your former work life? Pace yourself. Think outside the conventional 40- hour work week box and become conversant with the “gig” economy, flex work and remote work. Once you figure out the best “new you” retiree work fit link with an organization that has a retiree employment network
The Encore Career
1. You’ve done well in your career. You’re financially secure.
2. You’ve done good. You’ve been a good family person and parent. You’re proud of your kids and they’re proud of.
3. It’s an ideal time to make a contribution if that’s what you feel like deep down. You’re now positioned to exit what you’ve done well at in your career and give something back to your community.
4. It might entail making a reality of that dream you always had when you were young just tucked away while you pursued. Your now in a position to “ignite that passion” and make that dream a reality.
· That reality can be making a go of a business you always knew there was a need for in the community but nobody seemed to care to take the time and effort to get on it.
· You have the wherewithal to make it happen.
· Or this could be that once in your lifetime opportunity to volunteer with a charity or non-governmental organization (NGO) that you’ve been donating to but will now get a value add with your expertise.