Coming of Age and Coming Alive in the "5s"
Take the P.A.S.S
Ignite Your Passion
Create Your personalized pathway to
"Living Life to the Fullest"
Your Sherpa Guide
By John G. Kelly B.Com., LL.B., M.Sc. (international relations) M.A. (Jud.Admin) F.CIS
- You’ve read the book and have a reader friendly account of my recollections of my first attempts in learning (F.A.I.L) and how rekindling them enabled me to ignite my passion and "live life to the fullest".
- You know about my initial coming of age in a traditional Irish Catholic parish and how I eschewed suburbia and opted for active community living in a renowned model "pocket community" in the heart of downtown Toronto that acclimatized me to the ideal lifestyle of the "15 minute walk" to the historic St. Lawrence Market and splendour of the Eaton Centre.
- You know that I rebelled against "996" careerism (9am/9pm 6ix days a week).
- You know that by rekindling my F.A.I.L.s (first attempts in learning) I "ignited my passion" and created a personalized pathway to a successful professional career.
- I created a wholesome leisure life with my wife where utilizing active rving introduced us to the wonders of every nook and cranny of the North American landscape.
- The life that I led has been an invaluable learning experience that is enabling me to "thrive and be very much alive" in active retirement.
- You're aware from this web site that my active retirement is integrated into active community living in the idyllic heritage naturally occurring retirement community (NORC) of Saint Andrews by the Sea on the Bay of Fundy.
- I’m now going to be your guide mentoring and counselling you on how to P.A.S.S and "come alive in the "5s" 55/65/75 by creating your personalized pathway to "living life to the fullest"
- Reflect on and reconnect with Part III “Careerism” in my “Meaningful Memories”. What you read in Chapter 18 may well be what you experienced to some degree.
- If you were a home grown Canadian like me, you probably took what you were told was the the smart route and bought into a career that shaped your professional and personal life.
- Now that you're a member of the "5s" you and your family all wondering where you go from here and how you get from here to there.
- If you're still working your employer is also wondering just what's to be done with you. Welcome to the world of "agism".
- If you've had enough of a traditional work life then it's time to move on and embrace active leisure retirement living. It's your opportunity to create that personalize pathway to "living life to the fullest".
- When you got to Chapter 19 you read about how because of my good fortune in encountering a "F.A.I.L" early in my career I was able to rekindle those learning experiences, think for myself and ignite my passion. I then moved on to to my personal pathway and "live the life to the fullest" that I was meant to live.
- Part IV “Moving On” in my “Meaningful Memories” shows you having learned how to think for myself and pursue lifelong passions has enabled me to chart that personalized pathway .
Take a breath.
- Shut out all of the noise from family, friends and co-workers in your life, no matter how well intentioned they all may be, along with the marketing bombardments from social media and think for yourself.
- Free yourself from all of those fear factors associated with first attempts in learning (the invaluable F.A.I.L).
- The recounting of my F.A.I.L in C.18 “Careerism” is proof positive of how a F.A.I.L is the first step on the pathway to success.
- Look back and look around at what you would really love to do if only you had the time and opportunity.
- Stop dreaming and start streaming.
- Yes, now is the time to take your time because " the times they are a changin". This is your opportunity to discover and ignite or reignite your passion.
- Align those passion with your personal preferences.
- Chart your personalized pathway to "live life to the fullest".
- Move on
Affordability & Accessibility
- Yes, you do need to align your personal preferences with what you can afford to do. But don’t let finances be your lifestyle driver. Put yourself in the driver's seat.
- Now that you're a full fledged member of the "5s" it's time to let go of that work mentality that conditioned you to keep your head down and put up with so much of what you didn't like.
- Don't succumb to that final chapter and be "moved out". Start thinking about "moving on". If money is the issue embrace the concept of "encore career". This is your opportunity to make a fresh start in a "gig" economy in the emergent "silver economy".
- Do a reread of the C.9, “The Homestead”. My dad ignited his passion to start up a business with no money but figured out how to make it work by making creative use of our family home as a financing source. Don't shy away from being an entrepreneur.
- Reread the C.21 “Interlude”. My wife, Susan, and I made our dream of integrating rving in North America into our intergenerational age- friendly environment work by starting out with a motorcycle and camping trailer. Yes, "living life to the fullest" encompasses leisure and it is accessible and affordable.
- Don’t just dream on. Move on.
- "Living life to the fullest" is synonymous with intergenerational age-friendly multicultural active community living.
- Intergenerational age-friendly active community living integrates the four stages of aging, youth, adulthood, aging active seniors (the new boomer generation of young/olds “YOLDS”) into a vibrant intergenerational age-friendly mix.
- NORCs and "pocket communities" in cities with their "15 minute walks" to main streets "hubs" with local businesses are socialization anchors.
- Do a re-read of C.1 “Parish Life” to understand how socialization and active community living in intergenerational strong age- friendly small towns and "pocket communities" with their blending of an intergenerational population are sustainable infrastructure environmental anchors.
- You now know what to do to create your personalized age - friendly life in a NORC or "pocket community". My book “Meaningful Memories” has provided you with real life case studies on how to ignite your passion and chart your personalized pathway to get there.
- Congratulations. You've P.A.S.S ed .You’ve moved on and can start "living life to the fullest".
Want an “Informed Second Opinion” From Your Sherpa Guide?
- You've read about how the rekindling of my F.A.I.Ls enabled me to ignite my passion and "live life to the fullest".
- You’ve followed my lead and have succeeded in igniting your passion and charting a personalized pathway to live your life to the fullest.
- If you would like to share your success and get an “informed second opinion” , as your Sherpa guide I'm prepared to complete with you.
- Contact me below and provide me with a succinct 250 word success statement. I will review , edit it and schedule a 60 minute “informed second opinion” dialogue. You'll then be able to undertake a value add and submit a personalized proposed 250 word action plan. I'll review, edit it and schedule a second 60 minute "P.A.S.S. Completion Consultation" The purpose is to smooth out any rough edges of your pathway to success.
- The cost is an affordable $CDN 500.00. The benefits of the "informed second opinion" and P.A.S.S. Completion Consultation" is that you'll be confident that your pathway to success has been confirmed by "one of those in the know"; in this case your Sherpa guide.